*** This forum was active till April, 2021. Now it is read-only, please use the New forum! ***

+  AChat Forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  Got any problems running AChat? (Moderators: Lover, Brandybee, jayc, Nat33)
| | |-+  Trojan horse in achatupdater? - No, false detection of McAfee!
« previous next »
: [1]
: Trojan horse in achatupdater? - No, false detection of McAfee!  ( 8372 )
TightFit74
: 2415

Hi,

my anti-virus (mcAfee) reported a trojan horse embedded in the AChat updater and removed the quick-link and is now blocking achat from running. The program fails to load. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program. But after loading and receiving all upgrades, again the message from McAfee a trojan horse was discovered and removed. I can't even start AChat anymore, it fails to load. What's wrong?

Hi,
please allow me to answer here.
McAfee antivirus detects FALSE trojan in version updater, and deletes it without any question.

ACHAT IS CLEAN AND SAFE, THAT IS AN ERROR OF MCAFEE HEURISTIC DETECTION!!

AChat will be checked regularly with Kaspersky, Norton Antivirus, AVG, NOD32, and McAfee Antivirus.
We have reported the problem to McAfee, but we don't know yet when we will get an answer.

The new full version (you can download it!) is able to run also with deleted version updater, and we are looking for new solutions too.

Regards,
tom
« : October 06, 2010, 04:08:00 AM tom »

The mind... the most powerful Aphrodisiac...
Lover
: 10350

« #1 : October 05, 2010, 11:41:01 AM »

Did you read?

Did you change something in your anti-virus-software? Probably you made an update?

I know that many softwares using a gui-interface are giving a warning. When I first installed AChat, I got a warning, too. So I think (and hope) this is the simple problem.

Allow AChat access. This might solve the problem; as I wrote, I don't think it's a trojan horse.

Janine Dee
: 2541

« #2 : October 05, 2010, 12:05:59 PM »

The problem is security software can misidentify. I once had an anti-virus say my anti-spyware remover was malware. (AVG vs Malware Bytes) Looked into it and Malware Bytes has talked to AVG repeatedly because it would give those false positives.

I will run my anti-virus in a bit and if I run into the same (I don't use McAfee or AVG anymore) I will note it here, but if I don't I would say it may be your anti-virus rather then AChat.

Bathed in moonlight
I'm proclaimed by angels cry
Think well
Do take your time
Because your soul
will be mine the day you die

Kamelot, Descent of the Archangel
TightFit74

« #3 : October 05, 2010, 01:31:14 PM »

I wouldn't have posted it here unles I tried. AChat has full access and I marked the file considered a trojan as 'safe'. I have to reinstall and when I do, it says: upgrade failed "ok", restart program when running into problems "ok", can't load program "ok", then it dies, followed by a message from anti-virus that a trojan was removed... From that moment on I can't restart AChat at all... so no trojan there???

Janine Dee
: 2541

« #4 : October 05, 2010, 01:36:39 PM »

I'm about to run my scanners, but I will already say that a trojan is meant to allow a outside user access to your computer, like an updater. Ill be back in a couple hours with my results.

Okay I had a friend stop by after I finished my anti-malware program and I was clean, and I will run anti-virus when I am able.

As a note though he's better with computers then me and when I started mentioning what happened he finished my sentence on how the updater COULD be misinterpreted as a trojan since it has a similar purpose.
« : October 05, 2010, 03:44:33 PM Janine Dee »

Bathed in moonlight
I'm proclaimed by angels cry
Think well
Do take your time
Because your soul
will be mine the day you die

Kamelot, Descent of the Archangel
tom
Administrator
: 336

Please check the answer in the first post!
tom
TightFit74

Hi Tom,

been trying to fix the mcAfee problem. I donwloaded the new version already. How do I start it without the update program? Do I have to go to the root directory of AChat and start the program from there? Hope to hear something soon. Thanks for the reply so far

Tightfit74

TightFit74

Hi Tom,

I just finished an online chat with a person from the service team of McAfee. Their solution for the problem is to close McAfee when using AChat, leaving me (or anyone else with this problem) completely exposed for the outside world to see what you're doing. I told them that's not making me happy but they answer it is the only way. McAfee recognizes it as a threat and removes it. That can't be changed.
Which really sucks. I'm paying to be able to enjoy full features of AChat and some bloody anti-virus program is prohibiting me of using it, without being able to change. Will McAfee repay my costst for not being able to start AChat? Or will they take responsibility for me being hacked while playing AChat? I don't think so. How can this be solved? I don't want to be online with my Firewall down, fully exposed to any moron that wants to look inside my pc.
Maybe I'm making the wrong conclusions as far as being protected with my firewall off and connected to AChat, but I think this really sucks. Just wanted to share the info I got from McAfee with you. Regards,

TightFit74

Lover
: 10350

Congratulations McAfee. This I call customer relationship.

I am sorry TightFit74, but maybe it's really a problem for them? Maybe you wanna take a look at Zone Labs (http://www.zonealarm.com)? The basic software is free.

TightFit74

Thanks Lover, but not only do I pay for AChat, I pay for McAfee as well. I think it's a bad thing they can't fix my problems. I've been running AChat with realtime virus scan turned off. Which does mean a security risk for me. The firewall can be left turned on, but the biggest downside is, as soon as you turn on McAfee again, it removes the updater. You can only play when McAfee realtime virus scan is turned off and after reinstalling!!!!! Achat. Otherwise it'll shut down after a warning the update failed and the program can't start. So I need to reinstall and reinstall and reinstall all over again. Now that's a great use of my time and my cpu capacity...

tom
Administrator
: 336

« #10 : October 06, 2010, 11:14:59 AM »

I donwloaded the new version already. How do I start it without the update program? Do I have to go to the root directory of AChat and start the program from there?

Hi,

just install the new full version and use it just like you used to start AChat earlier. It should work.

Regards,
tom
TightFit74

« #11 : October 06, 2010, 11:30:25 AM »

I did and it does!
Thanks a lot Tom! Big compliment to the A-team!!!

TightFit74

« #12 : October 11, 2010, 08:54:11 AM »

For the ones that have not been able to make upgrades because of McAfee interfering with the updater of Achta, there is a way around it.
But in order to get dowloads, you have to turn off "real-time scanning" and place the achat updater (called versionupdater.exe) by opening the quarantain menu in McAfee. From there "restore" the updater.
Open the versionupdater, might take 2 or 3 tries before it will start running, and download the updates. For best protection, turn of achat after it loaded and do a scan, but at least turn real time scanner on again. This way AChat will stay up to date and the exposure of your pc to the internet unprotected will be minimal. At least until the A-team figures out a wat to update in a different way than the current version. Btw. Good luck with that guys!

: [1]  
« previous next »
: