*** This forum was active till April, 2021. Now it is read-only, please use the New forum! ***

+  AChat Forum
|-+  Discussions about AChat
| |-+  Share your creative ideas (Moderators: Lover, Brandybee, jayc, Nat33)
| | |-+  How about a "Tabbed" chat system?
« previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: Would you like tabbed chatting?
Yes! Great idea   -18 (52.9%)
No, I'm used to this   -1 (2.9%)
YES! With General chat as a tab!   -15 (44.1%)
: 32

: How about a "Tabbed" chat system?  ( 18801 )
apollo13nut
: 262

« : May 04, 2011, 11:32:04 PM »

I'll try to explain this: Some messengers (Yahoo, AIM, MSN for sure) allow you to use a single IM window, but each contact gets a separate "tab" in that window....why not do something like that for chat instead of having to piss around with the drop down and sending the wrong thing to the wrong person (we all know all of us have done it).
Bambi_Fawn
: 16

« #1 : May 04, 2011, 11:56:51 PM »

That sounds really cool, actually
Sandra88
: 52

Life is good :)

« #2 : May 05, 2011, 10:30:19 AM »

Thats what I'm takling about. ;)
« : May 09, 2011, 12:03:32 PM Sandra88 »

There is notting to be afraid of.
Virtuel reality will rehabilitate your mind and eventually your body.
You be allright...I promise......just concentrate.....
apollo13nut

« #3 : May 05, 2011, 03:13:02 PM »

These are the ideas the Dev Team should be focused on instead of the lame male clothes....
Triumph999
: 62

« #4 : May 17, 2011, 10:35:09 PM »

I think this is such a good idea, would make things a lot easier and save the old "Ooops, wrong person!" messages that I'm sure we've all had to send before now.

The right to bear arms is nearly as daft as the right to arm bears (no offence, Bear!)
Natalya
: 10

« #5 : June 06, 2011, 07:40:04 PM »

Something like "ignore for this session" (of AChat) might also be great. Like the idea about tabbed chat and especially the "General tab", which I imagine as a more interesting way of "meeting" people in AChat.

And while we're at it, why not also an option to ignore invites while I chat - i.e. when I want someone to invite me I unlock it, if I want to invite someone they have to unlock it.
FateInfinity
: 51

« #6 : March 07, 2012, 02:29:34 AM »

One of the most "must to have" features. Actual chat system is .... terrible...

Tabbed chat system is important!
Adera
: 3047

« #7 : March 07, 2012, 02:32:03 AM »

Yeah, I've wanted this for a very long time, I send way to many messages to the wrong people now.
Azrielle

NSPD - Retired

« #8 : March 07, 2012, 11:35:48 AM »

While the current Chat System is rudimentary at best, it has both pros and cons. Let’s provide a list to enable the Dev Team to properly evaluate the chat system before implementing any changes.

PROS
- Global Communication from player to player easily accessed by the Chat Button on a players profile.
- The chat system is in real time within the Game Module (AChat Client Window).
- Incoming messages are displayed as they are received, regardless of who sent them.
- A complete message history available for quick reference.
- A Block feature immediately accessible via the “ZZZ” button and/or a Player’s “Ignore” List.

CONS
- Unsolicited Communications from other players containing verbal abuse and/or non-game related suggestions to communicate via other chat programs.
- Some players repeatedly flood the chat system because they don’t like to be kept waiting and want an immediate response to their message.
- Confusion, resulting in the wrong message being sent to the wrong person.
- Copy and paste function is only keyboard accessible (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+P).
- New members often having difficulty finding someone to help them.

I invite other members to make future suggestions in this manner, in order to assist the DEV team in evaluating the current Chat system.

One of the most "must to have" features. Actual chat system is .... terrible...

Tabbed chat system is important!

While I do agree in principle, the AChat Client window is already quite full. Where do you propose the “TABS” be positioned when not in room? Perhaps a PM button when you wish to have a private conversation without being disturbed? Some details would be most beneficial so all of us can comprehend and/or visualise the suggested “TABS” and how it could possibly impact the current chat functions.

Yeah, I've wanted this for a very long time, I send way to many messages to the wrong people now.

I totally agree with you Adera, I’ve done it myself on occasions too numerous to count. I’ve had to start training myself to always check who a message is intended for before sending it. Attention to detail is critical to avoid the embarrassment at times.

One suggestion I would like to make is a… Let’s call it a “Favourites Tab” of sorts… where the chat is split into a “General” Tab” where the Global messages can continue to be sent and received as they currently are… and a Special Tab where players can message each other directly without interruption. Because of space issues in the current chat window, having a LIMIT of perhaps 2-3 TABS in total, might be the only way for a TAB system to be implemented at the current time.

Thoughts? Discussions? Pros & Cons?
I invite everyone to share their ideas.

AZRIELLE
« : March 07, 2012, 11:38:58 AM Azrielle »

Coming Soon to a Shop Near You! Mwah!
hentaiboy69
: 7883

« #9 : March 07, 2012, 11:52:03 AM »

mmmmhhh....here comes my experience whit MMO chat....

i think we need some subchannel, like this:

• General: where you can sand or read the messages of all the users of Achat
  • Private: where only firends, lovers and spouses can send you messages
  • PM: for personall message whit a specific user. here u can set the name of the user and talk onòy whit him
  • Group: a sort of guild chat (for peoples who have some practice whit MMO games), where users of a particular group can discuss between them whitout no one out of it can read the messages. have the chance to form a group inside achat can be good, if you think at some peoples who share a project (Nimphomania or to talk about the Tale in the fantasy zone, but it need some work to be done in the right way)

For every subchannel, we can have a different colour, so you can see immidiatly who is talking whit you and move from the General one to a specific channel if you wanna focused on it. in general, you can see the message of every channel, but in the others only the one linked whit it, so u can't read a message of your spouse in the "Group" subchannel (well, if thei are in that group too, yes!)

« : March 07, 2012, 12:15:06 PM hentaiboy69 »

medjai
: 415

« #10 : March 07, 2012, 12:02:02 PM »

It' a good idea my friend, the same chat concept could be easily applied here with some work from dev-team.

The different channels could be switched easily with small tabs on the right part of the chat, we have some space there that can be used to show every tab's label, I thought of the upper part but we're risking to cover a part of people's profile descriptions using that.

So tabs like you said could be: General, Friends/Lovers/Spouse, Group/Guild and we could have a special one for private one on one conversations that we could set up by adding a user kinda like we do when we form a group invite.

Bear
: 3856

« #11 : March 07, 2012, 12:04:44 PM »

A good time to see this topic revitalized... this is one of the larger issues I feel in the site.

That's my experience too HB... the ability to create a specific channel for group use.. ie:..... NSP channel, where a collective might join in...

I think the private / PM are pretty much the same.

coloring the message channels might be a bit difficult other than type of channel...but a tab with the name of the other party would be a big help... some sort of indicator when a message sent and waiting to be viewed.

hentaiboy69
: 7883

« #12 : March 07, 2012, 12:19:16 PM »

I forget.......it will nice if i can hide the message board too....it can help if i need to take a screenshot!

And plus. we need to find a way to velocize the search for users........sometimes it takes so much time to load the portrait and it can be bored. I know this is another things, but at last it's really linked to the chat itself! any suggestion!?

medjai
: 415

« #13 : March 07, 2012, 12:30:52 PM »

I think the speed search is slowed by overflows of connections so unless achat buys more bandwith I think we're all gonna have to bare with it.

Going back on topic, every label on the side of tha chat should blip every time you receive a message and you're not on that channel to warn you of a new message to read. And the friend/lover/spouse channel should be personalized and not directly linked to our in game lists, a new person added to our friend list shouldn't be automatically able to write in our personal channel unless we allow it.
FateInfinity
: 51

« #14 : March 07, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »

One of the best tabbed chat system i've ever seen in a MMORPG is the one used in SL.

It has a local chat as main tab. In this tab are shown the whole messages coming from every users currently chatting with me.
It has several different tabs, one for each user is currently talking with me.
Each tab can have a different color.
I can close the communication with a single user closing the relative tab.
Each tab contains the chat history of a single user chatting with me.
In SL I can detach each tab transforming it in a separate window, but this is not good for ACHAT (too much opened windows).

In ACHAT the tabbed chat system could work in this way:
While not in room, the local chat tab should show every messages coming from every users. A new tab should open everytime a new user sends me a new message. The following messages from the same user should appear in the same tab. If I close that tab, a new message from that user will open a new tab.
While in room, the local chat tab should show the message among the people in the same room. Other tabs should be available for incoming private messages.
Users should be able to close each chat tab (not the local one), set in global busy mode or in selective busy mode for each user. Global busy mode doesn't stop the local chat whiel in room.

Another idea coming from other games is the auto-hideable chat window. it becomes a little flashing icon in the bottom when new messages are received. I can click on the icon and the chat window pops-up. After i sent the message the window collapse. I can stick the window clicking on the "stick button".

: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
: