Skip to content
- Not logged in to forum -

Home Forums Quizz, Fav TV, Fav Music, Fav Films, Books… Books, Books, and More Books

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    sinnnn
    Participant

Hell I still like them.  If you let the kid in you die, you might as call yourself a stick in the mud and try very hard to get the giant one out your ass.

Bear
    Participant

I offer Watership Downs then…
    Bunnicula series  (something about paranoid cats and dogs and a suspected vampire bunny )
    (and keep that stick for someone else…)

sinnnn
    Participant

(LOL.  I don't remember saying I would put anything up that fine ass.  Or near it.  LOL)

Loved Watership Down.  Accidently threw the book in the trash at school.  Was on my lunch tray and I was running late for class.  I was so close to the end of that book to. 

Another kids (more girl classic) was Are You There God? Its Ne Margaret.  That book had almost every girl doing the boob excercise and mantra “We must, We must, We must increase our bust.”  Oh and the Babysitters Club series.  lol

Bear
    Participant

Hmmm,..add a few classics
    Sir Arthhur Doyle's:  The Lost World
    Jules Verne:  Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Mysterious Island, Journey to the Centre of the Earth
    H.G. Wells  The Island of Doctor Moreau; War of the Worlds;
    Jonathan Swift: Gulliver's Travels; 

sinnnn
    Participant

Moby Dick

Lover
    Participant

Perfume by Patrick Süsskind
    The Pledge by Friedrich Dürrenmatt

sinnnn
    Participant

Perfume?  is it the same as the movie?  Loved the movie, but never got the chance to read Perfume(that is if its the same).  Going to have to get it if it is.  Let me know  Lover.

Lover
    Participant

Yeah sinnnn, it's the same. The producers have asked for many years to get the permission to make it. The book is great!

Bear
    Participant

At the moment I am looking for some good fictional reads focusing on werewolves…any suggestions would be appreciated

Adera
    Participant

Hmm werewolves… I don't really know.

Btw I usually listen to audio books, its so nice to be able to do other things while listening to a good book.

Janine Dee
    Participant

It HAS werewolves, as well as vampires and witches. It's called the Hollows by Kim Harrison. It's a sort of alternative earth where in the 50's60's genetic engineering created a virus called the Angel Virus that wiped out over half the human population. As it did so however it was noticed that certain parts of the population were immune. They were the witches, werewolves, and vampires (and assorted beings) that were living in secret, hiding from humanity.

While the reduced population made it impossible for them to hide like they once did they suddenly found their numbers about equal if they were to all band together against the humans. They didn't, but the fact that they could kept humanity from doing anything rash and allowed the world of the Hollows to develop with our modern world with the supernatural seamlessly integrated.

I primarily read it for Ivy, a living vampire (they are born with a virus that makes them vamps, and reanimates them once they die, at which point they no longer age, but also loose their soul) who is sexy on two legs, and has a sexual tension with the main character, her witch roommate Rachel that's just yummy.

As well as a strong part of my desire to be bit. 

Bear
    Participant

LOL,…well, will take a look Janine,..vampires are the have been and will be the “sexy” of the dark things that go bump in the night. I am trying to do some research on an idea,…looking for suggestions that might give me a seed of thought of how the psyche of a character”tainted”  might be, how other authors look at things. Have my been building own opinions in this case as I work at breaking a writers block,…and I get best I can describe as flashes of direction,…obvious by my question,…the focus here is involves werewolves.

Janine Dee
    Participant

And there are werewolves. They are simply called weres and they have their human and their wolf forms, but the wolf form is basically the same killos as their human form since their mass doesn't magically vanish.

I just love Ivy. 

But the main character IS a witch, so that would be the most featured “type” but the representation seems fairly broad with Rachel meeting a wide variety. I know it's not the first book, I think it's the third, but a were character named David becomes a regular “cast” member and were issues DO come out.

A brief summary of one that threads across several books is their mating rate versus others, in that book the vamps as vamps CAN make a normal human into a vamp (though a socially low standing one) but a were must mate with a were to have children.

In that case David didn't WANT to have pups, but other weres were pushing because they considered it his responsibility.

Don't know if that would be the kind of issue that could come up for the story you are considering, but you could invert the idea of how can one connect if lycanthropy IS spread as easily as folklore indicates, etc, etc.

sinnnn
    Participant

Oh I know that book.  Was so mad when they killed Kirsten off.  Man I loved him and then she killed off the lil sprites wife, I was floored.  WTF is next dammit.

Janine Dee
    Participant

I dunno, I saw Kisten as “Ivy with a penis so it's okay to have sex.” That's not to say that I didn't like the guy, but he always seems kind of puny. Under Piscary, under Ivy, under Rachel. He always felt like the runt character to me.

I saw the Jenks/Matlina thing developing after the spell to make him big. I guessed it reset his clock.

As far as what's next? It wouldn't be as fun to read if we could guess in advance. 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Optimizing new Forum... Try it, and report bugs to support.