Skip to content
- Not logged in to forum -
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    mikki
    Participant

Morgan Freeman does have a great voice to listen to.I always enjoy gearing and seeing him work. Though my favorite voice to hear is, and will always be Sean Connery, That Scottish lilt just make me melt. I was so sad when he retired. So many great films over his career. Sure he made some bad ones as well. Zardoz comes to mind as one of the bad ones, and among the best has to be Russia House. Outland falls in the middle of the road for me. And can we forget he was the first James Bond in the feature films. I do love Billy Connelly's voice as well, but it's just not quite the same for me as Sean's.

Janine Dee
    Participant

I liked the first Underworld… I LOVED Kate's outfit in the first Underworld.

The second one was bad enough to make me not care enough to see the third.

Though there is a bonus point for the person who can id the RPG that was able to sue over the storyline to the first Underworld.

On the glories of Kate Beckinsdale, I don't own Hellsing… I liked it, but I rented, and she was awesome.

I have to give points to Hugh Jackman too… he really is a great actor. I mean I've only seen him in Hellsing and the first two X-men (couldn't stomach what I heard about the third, and I wouldn't go to Origins after hearing Dane Cook was cast) but he was excellent in what I did see.

On the comic note… have you seen the Punisher movie with Thomas Jane? The one with him, not the crappy 90's one with Dolph Lungren or the Punisher War Zone.

That is another example of a comic conversion that had a star who is a fan of the comic, and Jane shows the transformation of Frank Castle into the Punisher… I like to say he isn't REALLY the Punisher until the scene on the bridge (deliberate symbolism?) at the end, and so far everyone has agreed.

Because yeah, I have a comic collection too… Punisher's post Civil War, and Detective Comics featuring Batwoman… because she's a lesbian superhero and damn it I had to check it out and I got into it because it really is a excellently done story.

sinnnn
    Participant

Please do not get me started on the Alien trilogy.  I loved it and I'll watch that over an over.  Its almost like Star Wars to me(not the 123, ewww).  If I wasn't a comic book fanatic I could say that I loved the Xmen movies, but I am and I can't.  The first an 2nd were good, I want to bitch slap the person who wrote an the person who allowed Xmen 3 to be made. 
    Everything you have said Bear is so true, except I haven't seen Invictus yet(so I can't put my two cents into that pie just yet). I have 2 fav actors that I love an its mostly because of their smile.  Sad but true, I think they have the most honest pretty, funny smile.  Its kind of contagious.  Dennis Quad, Ewan McGregor-I love their smiles. 
    Christian Bale is also a very good actor.  You have to see him in The Machinist, he lost mad weight to play this part(its scary to see him like that, made me want to throw burgers at him).  Anyway very good thriller. 

Janine Dee
    Participant

While most of my action flicks seem to feature hot chicks I realized there was one that didn't that I want to mention… Taken. What really really impressed me with this movie is that while there was a good deal of action, the action, and the story in general had a very “real” feel to it. With so many action flicks you KNOW it couldn't happen without that team of special effects guys making it happen.

The same happens with the stories, the villains are so over the top that you would cringe to meet a psyche that could become THAT warped.

With Taken on the other hand the action not only seemed to obey mortal physics, but our hero got tired, and he got beat up.

And the villains were still villains, but felt like real assholes that are out there actually being the monsters shown rather then just sitting around chewing scenery waiting for the hero to show up and kill them.

I bought it, and am glad I did.

mikki
    Participant

Thank you Janine. I just made up my mind about Taken. I have been back and forth over this one. I like Liam Neeson, he has a down to earth quality about him I like. I was thinking this was going to be another Payback or Ransom, so I didn't think I wanted to see that again. Now I will go ahead and get it.
    I like the way you review films. No double talk, just a simple straight forward description, honest and heartfelt. Keep up the good work.

Janine Dee
    Participant

Now to be fair while I have not seen Ransom or Payback a friend who had compared Taken and Ransom… so *shrug* but I really did like it. It felt like it was a real person in a real series of fantastic events.

Lover
    Participant

Lethal Weapon 1-4. One of the seldom moments, I love the original and the followers. I like Danny Glover and especially Mel Gibson (Mad Max, Payback, Tequila Sunrise!!!). But the combination of both – fantastic.
    I love a well-done action-comedy, as I think it's very difficult to do. Either they are only foolish, or they don't have appropriate action scenes. Here you have both. If now they would have hot sex, they could call it “AChat”

sinnnn
    Participant

Taking bout action comedy.  Rush Hour.  Red Heat(oldie).  Shanghi Noon.   

Oh  we have to mention 300.  300 was my movie.  Gladiator.  I love Ruslle Crowe movies, he has yet to disappoint.  Another movie that I didn't think would make my list was the Gamer.  It was actually good.  I liked the fact they took gaming to a whole new leve, just hope it doesn't happen in rl.

Janine Dee
    Participant

Rush Hour… another of Jackie's triumphs… I still remember my favorite part in the second one when he thinks Tucker's character had been blown up.

Lover
    Participant

Rush Hour – great
    And my respect to Chakie Chan!!!! Performing most of the stunts by himself. The man is 56! He has some charitable foundations for children, schools… and is UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.
    Other good films are “The Tuxedo”, The Medallion” and “Around the world in 80 days”

Janine Dee
    Participant

If anything Jackie Chan's even more impressive off screen for all those good deeds he does.

Lover
    Participant

I also love “Final Destination 1-3”. It's a nice idea and well done. But now it's enough; part 4 has the typical problem of “more, more, more”.

Lover
    Participant

Shrek
    If the A-Team gives us a Shrek-costume?
    Did anybody watch Shrek 3? It#s not available yet in Germany, but will start next week in 3D. Can you tell me something about it?

Janine Dee
    Participant

That's the problem with any horror movie Lover… with any movie really there is a unspoken need to do more, to push the envelope further, and all too often the spirit of what got you three, four or more in the series is lost in a wash of special effects, but yes the Final Destination principle is awesome.

I sort of touched on this in the quotes game, but *I* think the Saw series has managed to keep it's spirit now half a dozen films into the franchise, an impressive feat considering their main character has died and been autopsied, and yes you get to see that too.

Oh and Lover… while Shrek is a charming movie (I haven't seen three yet either) dressing up like him to room definitely seems to fit into the horror genre.

sinnnn
    Participant

I find all horror movies funny.  I always root for the bad guys.  The good guys are soooo dumb its annoying.  They always fall over something, a log, a puppy, AIR, really WTF.  When someone is trying to tell them some good advice they refuse to listen, the the advicer giver dies and thats when they listen.  The killer is usually walking or like Jaws under the water, and the ppl gives themselves away by screaming, or tripping on air, or breathing really, really loud.  Sorry but GO VILLIANS. 

Good example is Paranormal Activity.  The boyfriend was dumber than a stick blowing in the wind.  They kept telling him don't taunt the entity, don't taunt the entity.  What does dummy do?  I'm sorry but realistically I find out my man/woman is walking around with a stalker house burning entity, thats the end of our relationship.  I love you but I thought it would be just the two of us.  I figure down the line we'd have kids, just not you, me, baby an killing entity.  Bye, door shuts -end of movie.  Maybe thats why I 'm not a star in any horror.  If something was chasing me an you was next to me(you better be a BF) you going to be tripped.  Really someone has to get away to warn others.  Since I run faster

My point is horror movies are not what they use to be.  They are bloddy comdies.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Optimizing new Forum... Try it, and report bugs to support.