Skip to content
- Not logged in to forum -

Home Forums Quizz, Fav TV, Fav Music, Fav Films, Books… Favorite TV (remake from Say…)

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Lover
    Participant

I don't have a problem with his dark side or with a dark trip. This was the reason I thought I would like it. I don't like slick superstars without any problems, mistakes or knowing everything in every situation.

I like House, Navy CIS, the mentalist, Criminal Intent, Monk, The unknown stuntman (Lee Majors) in the 80s… all heroes with their own problems.
    But anyhow Dexter and I didn't come together…

Janine Dee
    Participant

Definitely just different tastes, but I think what you might consider flawless I consider proactive. I live my life striving to see problems simply as obstacles that WILL be overcome, rather then just awful things I will endure.

Should I be worried I'm identifying with a serial killer? 

Bear
    Participant

hmmm is that to say you are without emotion?   That was his advantage devoid of of an element which contaminates judgment. Methodical and absolute in his adherence to the code.

But that is a good philosophy to live by

but Dexter flawless?

Janine Dee
    Participant

Actually Dex didn't have much emotion, but even early on he showed flickers. Choosing his foster sister who didn't know about his nature over the biological brother who did because he was “fond” of her being a bigger example from season 1.

He is certainly logical though, and can divorce his emotions to take a step back, and weigh a situation. I try to be able to do the same, because I feel it better to look for a solution instead of simply dwell on the problem itself.

Bear
    Participant

Same here.

I looked at the brother issue slightly different. Dexter was forced to confront bonding with his brother and shelving the Henry's code…his foster sister representing that tie to Henry's code, the ultimate of sacrifice.

All actions have a cost,…some lesser,..others extreme.

Janine Dee
    Participant

Different takes, but I read more into just the WAY he said the word fond… it was almost as if he surprised himself.

sinnnn
    Participant

I'm jealous, Dexter use to come on regular tv and then they took it of and put it on cable.  Damn network teasers.

Janine Dee
    Participant

Actually Sweetheart it started on cable, got chopped up (pun intended) so it could be aired on broadcast TV, and then I'm guessing it got pulled.

Lover
    Participant

I talk about challenges when others are talking about problems. Used this term here to make it unique for everyone. In TV I like those heroes, that are growing in a specific situation; when they don't give up, face the situation and getting things done. It's a bit like real life.

Janine Dee
    Participant

Hear, hear, though I would say it's more like real life should be. Far too many give up way too easy.

Lover
    Participant

Agree Janine, far too many give up.
    When I say it's like in real life I talk about “real” heroes. People like you and me –  not giving up, working on themselves to get better, to grow. This is my compare heroes – real life.

It's sad. There are more people giving up, than people which are really failing. And too many people don't wanna take responsibility for their own life.

Bear
    Participant

The words “I can't” truly mean “I won't”…adversity tests and measures us…

If anything or ability to deal with failure, disappointment, loss will impact our future. Live life with your eyes on the road ahead, not on the rear view mirror.

Lover
    Participant

It's more “I don't want” You always have the chance to say “I can't for the moment” This is giving you much more power.

Agree. Look ahead. You can't change what has happened but you always can change what's coming next. At least you have the influence.

Janine Dee
    Participant

I've been on this soapbox before.  People LOVE their excuses. It's much easier then taking action, then working through and then past the problem.

Lover
    Participant

On the left hand they love their excuses. On the right hand they are so caught in this behaviour, they can't behave in another way.
    And now the circle is closed: They can, but as they always say “I can't” they get a self-fullfilling prophecy.

They are caught in a double-bind or a catch 22.

And sure, this kind of behaviour is so much easier. “I can't; I don't have the chance; I don't have luck; It's the weather's fault, the neighbour's, my father's one….”

• Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 100 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Optimizing new Forum... Try it, and report bugs to support.