Skip to content
- Not logged in to forum -
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 490 total)
  • Author
    JessiCapri
    Participant

David Crosby died today at the age of 81. I am shattered by this one. 2023 is not being kind to us thus far and now this.

I saw him many times. Once in Central Park, NYC.

His family said in their announcement: “Although he is no longer here with us, his humanity and kind soul will continue to guide and inspire us. His legacy will continue to live on through his legendary music” So spot on true.

Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young - Our House (Official Video)

JessiCapri
    Participant

Joan Baez wrote:

In 1965, Bob Dylan and I were discussing the state of the music scene. He said The Byrds, who had made a hit of “Mr. Tambourine Man,” were the only thing happening musically at that point in time. Perhaps an exaggeration, but certainly a tribute to the stellar musicians who formed the budding monster groups of the years to come like The Byrds and CSNY.
    David Crosby was among the monster group icons who continued a solo career with the kind of success reserved for great musicians. And he could sing the hell out of a harmony.
    He was also a friend to me. He was always, I repeat, always present for me, to defend my character and politics, and often included over the top (sometimes unwarranted) praise. He was funny, clever, and refreshing to be around. And I was honored that he chose my portrait of him as his last album cover.
    He will be missed by millions, including myself. Sending my love to Jan and his family.

JessiCapri
    Participant

Warren Haynes wrote (Of the passing of David Crosby):

Not sure I can keep doing this. Still reeling from Jeff Beck’s death and now Croz. I guess we’ve reached that time where our musical heroes are passing at a frequency that is no surprise but still shocking. David Crosby changed the landscape of music as a solo artist and as a member of the Byrds, CSN, and CSNY. His soulful and melodic voice, offset by his brilliantly unique songwriting made its way into every household that loved not only the “folk rock” anomaly of CSN but also, as was unique to the times, Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Sly & the Family Stone, Santana, the Grateful Dead—the list goes on and on. Our household was no exception. I really loved the beautiful melodies, the three-part harmony, and the ethereal quality of this music, which somehow also had a heaviness to it. Not in the loud sense of the term but in the gravity and depth of the songs and the performances. Despite the overall acoustic/folky nature of all the different projects that Crosby was part of, this music fit perfectly alongside the heaviest and most psychedelic music of that time period. Not just because it incorporated electric instrumentation as well, but because it was unique and defied categorization. It was as much “rock music” as any of the aforementioned artists. I didn’t know David very well but I cherish the one time we played together, which was at a Hepatitis C Benefit at the Beacon Theater in NYC with the Allman Brothers Band along with David and Graham Nash, Phil Lesh, and Natalie Cole. It was a huge moment for me to duet with David on “Almost Cut My Hair” and to sing Stephen Stills’ part on “Find the Cost of Freedom” along with him and Graham. I’ll never forget it. Thanks David, from millions of us, for your contribution to the world of music. It is a huge one. – WH

JessiCapri
    Participant

JessiCapri
    Participant

Burt Bacharach, the singularly gifted and popular composer and Oscar winner who delighted millions with the quirky arrangements and unforgettable melodies of “Walk on By,” “Do You Know the Way to San Jose,” “I Say a Little Prayer” and dozens of other hits, has died at 94. Bacharach died Wednesday at his home in Los Angeles of natural causes, publicist Tina Brausam confirmed to CBS News on Thursday.

Over the past 70 years, only Lennon-McCartney, Carole King and a handful of others rivaled his genius for instantly catchy songs that remained performed, played and hummed long after they were written. He had a run of top 10 hits from the 1950s into the 21st century, and his music was heard everywhere from movie soundtracks and radios to home stereo systems and iPods, whether “Alfie” or “I’ll Never Fall in Love Again” or “This Guy’s in Love with You.”

In 2013, Bacharach said on “CBS This Morning” that “Alfie” might be his favorite song. “I mean, just that one excerpt line, ‘Are we meant to take more than we give or are we meant to be kind,’ and how applicable that is right now,” he said.

RIP Burt and thank you for the music.

JessiCapri
    Participant

More from Burt..

Vaughan

RIP BURT BACHARACH

Walk On By DIONNE WARWICK

JessiCapri
    Participant

RIP Raquel Welsh

Raquel Welch, the Hollywood sex symbol famous for her 1960s roles in “One Million Years B.C.” and “Fantastic Voyage,” has died at 82.

JessiCapri
    Participant

Gary Rossington, Lynyrd Skynyrd’s last surviving original member who also helped to found the group, died Sunday, March 5th, 2023, at the age of 71. No cause of death was given.

“Gary is now with his Skynyrd brothers and family in heaven and playing it pretty, like he always does. Please keep Dale, Mary, Annie and the entire Rossington family in your prayers and respect the family’s privacy at this difficult time.”

Rossington cheated death more than once. He survived a car accident in 1976 in which he drove his Ford Torino into a tree, inspiring the band’s cautionary song “That Smell.” A year later, he emerged from the 1977 plane crash that killed singer Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines and backing vocalist Cassie Gaines, with two broken arms, a broken leg, and a punctured stomach and liver.

“It was a devastating thing,” he told Rolling Stone in 2006. “You can’t just talk about it real casual and not have feelings about it.”

“I thank God every day and night that I can keep playing and spreading the name of Skynyrd and our brand. Just being able to talk about Ronnie and Allen (Collins, who died in 1990) and share their music with the audience,” Rossington said. “We had a dream back in the day to be in a big band and make it and then it was taken away from (some of) them real quick. (Those who died in the plane crash), they didn’t get a chance to see how Skynyrd developed, how ‘Free Bird’ became an anthem. So I get to tell their story.”

JessiCapri
    Participant

R.I.P. …. Mary Quant…..
    Known as the mother of the miniskirt, clad in her signature play clothes and boots, with huge painted eyes, fake freckles and a bob, she epitomized London’s Swinging Sixties.

JessiCapri
    Participant

RIP TINA TURNER
    Age 83

Turner had suffered from poor health in recent years. She had an intestinal cancer diagnosis in 2016 and underwent a kidney transplant in 2017. Over her long career, she won eight Grammy Awards and had stars on both the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the St. Louis Walk of Fame.

JessiCapri
    Participant

RIP Sinead

Kris Kristofferson – Sister Sinead

JessiCapri
    Participant

RIP PeeWee Herman.

Pee Wee Herman – Tequila

JessiCapri
    Participant

I woke to the news yesterday that we’d lost you. I still cannot wrap my mind around the fact that someone with a light as bright as yours could just be extinguished. I have seen your shows no less than a dozen times and it was always a magical party. Thank you so much for all the laughter and the joy. The world truly is a bit darker without you. You always seemed to have your fingers on the pulse. The day before you passed you left us with one more gift. Bubbles Up Jims!! See you on the other side.

🫧 BUBBLES UP lyrics
    When this world starts a-reeling from that pressure drop feeling
    We’re just treading water each day
    There’s a way to feel better, be well set to weather
    The storms till the sun shines again
    When your compass is spinning
    And you’re lost on the way
    Like a leaf in the wind, friend, hear me when I say
    Bubbles up, they will point you toward home
    No matter how deep or how far you roam
    They will show you the surface, the plot and the purpose
    So when the journey gets long
    Just know that you are loved, there is light up above
    And the joy is always enough
    Bubbles up
    To my friends who are jolly when melancholy knocks
    Sometimes they let her in
    To sit and share stories of flops and of glories
    If ain’t half as bad as the bends
    Sometimes livin’s a struggle, multiplied double
    But they love it too much for the party to end
    (Chorus)
    Bubbles up, they will point you toward home
    No matter how deep or how far you roam
    And joy, there is always enough
    Bubbles up
    Let’s pop a cork to the rough and the right
    To the bright plays and days and the sweet starry nights
    Bubbles up, they will point us toward home
    No matter how deep or how far we roam
    And joy, there’s always enough
    Bubbles up
    Bubbles up

JessiCapri
    Participant

One more post on the passing of Jimmy Buffet. If you never had the experience of a Jimmy Buffet party this will give you a glimpse in. If you ever attended one of his shows you knew that his staff would roam the parking lot for hours before recording the pre-party before the party. The recordings would be shown as the backdrop for the show. So all the veterans of past shows came prepared and the results were just amazing and worth the cost of the ticket by themselves. This also gives insite to the type of man he was. I dug my parrothead hat out yesterday. It’s seen many the party and now leans a bit to the left (HA) but so do I so I will continue to wear it proudly and embarass my kids. (LOL) Enjoy!

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 490 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Optimizing new Forum... Try it, and report bugs to support.