Skip to content

Trojan horse in achatupdater? – No, false detection of McAfee!

- Not logged in to forum -

Home Forums Got any problems running AChat? Trojan horse in achatupdater? – No, false detection of McAfee!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    TightFit74
    Participant

Thanks Lover, but not only do I pay for AChat, I pay for McAfee as well. I think it's a bad thing they can't fix my problems. I've been running AChat with realtime virus scan turned off. Which does mean a security risk for me. The firewall can be left turned on, but the biggest downside is, as soon as you turn on McAfee again, it removes the updater. You can only play when McAfee realtime virus scan is turned off and after reinstalling!!!!! Achat. Otherwise it'll shut down after a warning the update failed and the program can't start. So I need to reinstall and reinstall and reinstall all over again. Now that's a great use of my time and my cpu capacity…

TightFit74
    Participant

Hi Tom,

I tried and found that I can play achat, but under a couple of conditions:

1. turn off McAfee “real-time virus scanner”
    2. Reinstall AChat
    3. Start and play

Downside: as soon as you turn on the real-time scanner again, it will detect a trojan horse and removes it. Which means going through steps 1-3 all over again, everytime you want to play.

Who's supposed to fix this problem? I'm paying for both services and neither can do anything about it? So what's the deal here?

regards,
    TightFit

tom
    Participant

Please reinstall the latest full version!
    tom

tom
    Participant

I'm paying for both services and neither can do anything about it?

Please remember, that McAfee deletes the  harmless version updater, and not vice versa. Deletes without question, additional info, and without the possibility to define an exception.

McAfee could solve the problem very easily, they should define an exception for version updater in their Artemis database. We hope sooner or later they will do it.

tom

tom
    Participant

I donwloaded the new version already. How do I start it without the update program? Do I have to go to the root directory of AChat and start the program from there?

Hi,

just install the new full version and use it just like you used to start AChat earlier. It should work.

Regards,
    tom

TightFit74
    Participant

I did and it does!
    Thanks a lot Tom! Big compliment to the A-team!!!

TightFit74
    Participant

Thanks a lot Tom for at least adapting AChat in such a way it is playale, even while McAfee is running. I appreciate your efforts a lot.
    As far as I'm concerned, this topic can be closed. Enough info shared. I'm just happy to be able to play again!

Tightfit

TightFit74
    Participant

For the ones that have not been able to make upgrades because of McAfee interfering with the updater of Achta, there is a way around it.
    But in order to get dowloads, you have to turn off “real-time scanning” and place the achat updater (called versionupdater.exe) by opening the quarantain menu in McAfee. From there “restore” the updater.
    Open the versionupdater, might take 2 or 3 tries before it will start running, and download the updates. For best protection, turn of achat after it loaded and do a scan, but at least turn real time scanner on again. This way AChat will stay up to date and the exposure of your pc to the internet unprotected will be minimal. At least until the A-team figures out a wat to update in a different way than the current version. Btw. Good luck with that guys!

tom
    Participant

UPDATE!

McAfee put the version updater to white list, so it will not be deleted by McAfee antivirus any more!

If you re-install AChat using the last available full version, the automatic version updater will run without problems again!

Regards,
    tom

TightFit74
    Participant

That's great news Tom. I'm very glad they took notice of your (and maybe our) requests!

Thanks for the effort!

Tightfit

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Optimizing new Forum... Try it, and report bugs to support.